- 1kg/2lb Venison Chuck Steak (in one piece)
- 2 Onions, sliced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 10 Peppercorns
- 10 Juniper Berries
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Boiling Water
- Vegetable oil
- 10 Gingernut Biscuits, crushed
- 2 teasp Sugar
1. Place the venison in a large mixing bowl together with the onions, bay leaves, tightly and refrigerate, turning venison twice a day for at least 2 days. Never pierce the meat when turning.
2. Remove the venison from the bowl and reserve the marinade.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the venison and brown on all sides.
4. Add the marinade , bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 3 to 3-1/2 hrs until tender. Can also be cooked in a slow cooker or crockpot on high for 8 hours.
5. Remove the venison and onions from the pan and keep warm.
6. Strain the cooking liquor into a measuring jug and make up to 600ml/1pt with extra water.
7. Pour the liquid into a saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Stir in the crushed ginger nuts and sugar then cover and simmer for a further 3 minutes.
9. To serve - slice the venison and place on a warmed serving platter. Garnish with the onions and drizzle a little of the gravy over the top. Serve the remaining gravy separately.
» Germany Recipes