- 325g/12oz Sauerkraut, drained
- 675g/1-1/2lb Ham Bone (with meat)
- 5 Peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1.5L/50fl.oz. Water
- 4 medium Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 25g/1oz Butter
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
1. Place the sauerkraut, ham bone, peppercorns, bay leaves and water in a large saucepan, cover and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat, uncover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring from time to time.
3. Half an hour before the end of the cooking time, place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes or until just tender.
4. Remove ham bone from the sauerkraut, allow to cool a little then slice the ham from bone.
5. Return the sliced meat to the sauerkraut, together with the cooked drained potatoes.
potatoes to sauerkraut mixture, mix well and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onions and sauté, stirring, for about 10 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and ladle about 240ml/8fl.oz. of the sauerkraut broth into onion mixture, stirring to mix well.
8. Add the onion mixture to the sauerkraut soup and bring to the boil. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
» Germany Recipes