- 240ml/8fl.oz. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Onions, cut into wedges
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tbsp Juniper Berries
- 3 Allspice Berries
- 3 Peppercorns
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1kg/2.2lb Beef Joint (topside, bottom round)
- 480ml/16fl.oz. Red Wine
- 2 tbsp Lard or Vegetable Oil
- 50g/2oz Raisins
- Salt and Pepper
- Maple Syrup
1. Place the vinegar in a saucepan with a little water, bring to the boil then remove from the heat and allow it to cool down a little.
2. Transfer the cooled vinegar to a large bowl, add the onion, herbs, spices and wine and mix well.
3. Add the meat to the the marinade cover and leave it to marinate in a cool place for up to 3 days but for at least 24 hours, turning the meat several times.
4. After the marination time, remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry on kitchen paper and season with salt and pepper.
5. Heat the oil or lard in a large saucepan and brown the meat on all sides.
6. Add the marinade together with the onions and the spices, bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for at least 3 hours, checking the liquid level from time to time and adding a little stock or water if necessary.
7. Strain the cooking liquor into a smaller saucepan, add the raisins and season with salt, pepper and a little maple syrup. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Can be thickened with a little cornflour if desired.
8. To serve - slice the meat and transfer to a warmed serving platter. Pour a little of the sauce over the top and serve the remaining sauce in a separate jug. Serve hot.
» Germany Recipes