Fish in Beer
- 1 whole Carp (about 1.3kg/3lbs with head)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Stick of Celery, chopped
- 6 Peppercorns
- 3 Cloves
- 8 slices Lemon
- 3 Bay leaves
- 480ml/16fl.oz. Beer
- 6 Gingernut Biscuits, crushed
- 1 tbsp Sugar
1. Remove the head then wash gut and scale the fish and lay fish out on a clean work surface or board as flat as possible, breaking the bones along its back.
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion, celery, salt, peppercorns and cloves and mix well.
3. Lay the lemon slices and bay leaf on top of the onion mixture then place the fish on top.
4. Pour the beer over the fish, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with fork.
5. Transfer the fish to a warmed platter using a fish slice, cover with foil and keep warm.
6. Strain the cooking liquor through a sieve into a jug, pressing some of the vegetables through.
7. Place the crushed ginger biscuits and sugar in pan and add 360ml/12fl.oz. of the strained liquor. Cook over a medium/high heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve hot with the fish.
» Germany Recipes