- 1 tbsp Active Dried Yeast
- 150ml/5fl.oz. Warm Milk
- 1 Egg
- 75g/3oz Sugar
- 1 teasp Salt
- 75g/3oz Softened Butter
- 350g/12oz Strong White Flour
- 50g/2oz Sultanas
- 50g/2oz Currants
- 50g/2oz Glace Cherries, quartered
- 150g/5oz Candied Citrus Peel
- 175g/6oz Almond Paste (Marzipan)
- Icing Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
1. Place the warm milk in a large bowl and sprinkle over the yeast to dissolve.
2. Add the egg, sugar, salt, butter and 225g/8oz of the flour and beat well with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the remaining flour, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the sultanas, currants, glace cherries and peel and continue to beat until the dough begins to pull together, then turn it onto a floured work surface and knead well.
5. Place the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
6. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface punch down, knead again then roll out to about 25cm/10 square.
7. Shape the marzipan into a roll the same length as the dough, place it in the centre of the dough, flatten slightly then fold the dough over to cover it and pinch the seams together to seal.
8. Place the loaf, seam side down, on the baking sheet, cover with a damp cloth and place in a warm place to rise for about 40 minutes, until doubled in size.
9. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas mark 4.
10. Uncover the roll and bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 150C, 300F, Gas Mark 2 and continue to bake for a further 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
11. Cool on a wire rack.
12. To serve - transfer to a serving platter and dust with icing sugar and cinnamon.
Traditionally served at Christmas and festive times.
» Germany Recipes