Lowest rates on
- 675g/1-1/2lb Black Cherries
- 4-5 x 1 day old Bread Rolls
- 270ml/9 fl.oz. Water
- 100g/4oz Butter
- 150g/5oz Sugar
- 3 Eggs, separated
- 1 teasp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teasp Grated Lemon Zest
- 75g/3oz Ground Almonds
- Icing sugar
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil then cook for 15-20 minutes until just tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook carrots in salted water for 15 minutes until just tender.
3. Drain the cooked potatoes and carrots and allow to cool.
4. Grate or finely chop the cooled potato, place in a layer on serving platter and press down gently.
5. Chop the herring fillets and place in a layer on top of the potatoes but slightly smaller to start building mountain
6. Sprinkle with the chopped dill.
7. Continue building the mountain with a layer of onion, then eggs then grated carrots, in that order, pressing each layer down gently.
8. Finally, grate the beetroots and use to cover the whole mountain to form a red coat.
9. Spoon the mayonnaise dressing over top, cover loosely and refrigerate for 4-8 hours. The mayonnaise will go pink.
10. To serve - Season with black pepper, garnish with dill and lemon wedges and serve with brown bread.
» Germany Recipes